What We Do
Beautifying the Fox Valley
We believe that everyone should take time to stop and smell the flowers. To encourage that we have been planting marigolds all long South Oneida street in Appleton for over 30 years. As we continue to grow we are also expanding our planting locations beyond the South Oneida and with your help beyond Appleton.
We believe helping to improve your surroundings is a great way to get invested in your community. We offer volunteer opportunities to those looking to get involved and help strengthen our community here in the Fox Valley.
Our Planting Schedule
Every year The Marigold Mile endeavors to plant between 8,000-10,000 marigolds. With the help of Riverview Gardens we need volunteers to help in prepping the soil along the curbs on South Oneida St, growing the seeds, planting the marigolds, weeding, and watering throughout the growing season.
Approximate Timeline (weather dependent with late April snow or rainy May days):
- Late Winter/Early Spring: Start growing the marigolds from seeds.
- Late April/Early May: Start prepping the curbs by spraying for weeds, cultivating the soil, and replace the soil and add compost as needed.
- Late May/June: Let the planting begin!
- Late June: Complete planting and start fertilizing.
- Mid July: Some replanting is performed and weeding begins.
- August – September: Stop and smell the flowers!
- October – November: Brrr…it’s cold, time to remove the flowers before the ground freezes.